University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Information and Library Science
INLS 187: Information Security
Short Assignment: Policy Analysis
The goal of this assignment is to identify and evaluate
a policy related to information security, data integrity or
Specific requirements for this assignment are:
- Find a real-world example of an existing written policy related
to information security, data integrity, privacy or a related topic.
The policy should, somehow, pertain to you. Obtain a copy of the
policy. Supply a bibliographic citation or reference to the policy,
and an online link if available. 2 points.
- Provide a summary of the policy, or of some of the most interesting
points (to you) of the policy. 4 points.
- Develop criteria for analyzing the policy. Identify at least
4 criteria. The criteria should be based on your interests, the
domain of the policy, and your readings and experiences in the class.
Examples of criteria include: the stakeholders, the clarity of language,
fairness, adjudication & due process, coverage, adequacy,
applicability, loopholes, etc. 4 points.
- Analyze the policy by applying your criteria. Use policy quotes or
other substantiation (e.g., examples) as needed to support your analysis.
- Provide and support recommendations for changes to the policy.
The outcome of your work should be a Web page (linked to the Projects page for the class) with your
written report on the above. Effective presentation, communication
and use of language are criteria for all 5 requirements.
Your analysis should be about 500-1500 words.
Most recently updated:
Saturday, 30-May-2009 23:45:19 PDT