What are Ethics?
- Dictionaries and encyclopedias do a good job
of defining ethics for us. From M-W:
Ethics. 1: the discipline dealing with what is good
and bad and with moral duty and obligation 2: a set of moral
principles or values. 3: a theory or system of moral values. 4: the
principles of conduct governing an individual or a group. 4: a
- Ethics are:
- Culturally relative and mutable
- Not necessarily consistent
- Guides for behavior
- We all have ethics. When we are thoughtful and reflective,
we tend to behave in ways consistent with our ethics.
- Ethics, like any human principles, can be violated. When
we are thoughtless and reckless, we may behave in ways
inconsistent with our ethics.